Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Beavers and robins

There's open water around the beaver lodge so I went over after sundown this evening to look for beavers. I saw 3. Two were floating near the lodge and both of these slapped their tails and went under when they saw me. The 3rd beaver was just below the dam and this one submerged silently and swam under the ice. I waited 5 minutes but it didn't come up. Beavers can hold their breath for 15 minutes or more and I'm sure this one just decided to wait me out, as it really didn't have anywhere to go other than back over the dam into the main pond.

While I was waiting for the beaver to reappear a robin started chirping by the observation tower. That is the first robin of the year for me. I got a blurry photo of my bird, a male, sitting on top of a spruce tree. There was another one calling further away toward Maxwell Lake.

No comments: